My 8-year-old female cat was diagnosed with ringworm eight months ago. My vet treated her with what I believe was griseofulvin for three months. During that time, she grew worse. She has now lost about 30 percent of the hair on her body, and the bald patches are covered with scabs and scaly patches. According to my vet, antifungal medications are somewhat dangerous and likely to harm or kill the cat. However, if I do nothing, she will almost certainly continue her slow decline. She is currently lethargic, but her appetite and her bowels are normal. She doesn't appear to be in any pain, although the dry and scaly skin has reduced her to limping along on three feet and spending most of her time curled up asleep. I'm at a loss as to what to do next. Any advice will be appreciated.
T.K., High Point, NC May 09, 2011
Cases of feline ringworm (not a worm but a fungus) that do not respond to conventional treatment call for drastic measures. Discuss with your veterinarian giving your cat supplements such as omega-3, vitamins A, D and B-complex; shaving the cat to remove fungus-infected fur; and applying an Elizabethan collar to stop the cat from self-grooming and allowing you to safely apply an emulsion shampoo containing essential oils such as tea tree, rosemary, lavender and myrrh. These have antifungal properties, but because they can be toxic to cats when ingested, they should only be used as a last resort. Your cat should be on a zero-carbohydrate diet, high in good-quality animal protein and fat. Probiotics in her food may help boost her immune system along with the above supplements. A few days after the first medicated shampoo treatment, have a veterinarian check her to assess the effectiveness of the essential oils. More cat-safe hydrosols are available via Internet suppliers, which you should use if repeated shampooing is needed.
5/12/2011 9:00:25 AM #
i am appalled at the vet who has let this 8yr female cat suffer for 8 mos with ring worm! a new vet is in order in my opinion...also i would like to add that the cat's bedding should be disinfected regularly as well as the litter box. i was given a pregant cat who had a severe case of it. she was given a pill which finally took care of it however, her kittens were born with it, and all my other animals got it as well as myself and my daughter. it took dilligent work to keep everybody and the envirnoment as clean as possible but it was worth it. i can't understand a vet letting an animal suffer when there are things you can do!! doesn't sound like the vet cares...
Because of Dr. Fox’s schedule, he cannot accept nor respond to e-mails concerning
pet health and behavioral problems. You may find answers in his
Archives section and in his
Special Reports. If you have a
pet emergency, please contact your nearest veterinary hospital or clinic.